Access Statement for Clyn Glas Holiday Cottages
- Both Y Bwthyn Uchaf (Upper Cottage) and Y Bwthyn Isaf (Lower Cottage) are approached from a large car park, which allows for both manoeuvring of vehicles and for easy ingress to and egress from vehicles. Each cottage has a reserved parking place, but extra space can be made available as necessary.
- Each cottage has two entrances. The front entrance doors open on to the drive between the main house and the cottage block. This drive is quite steep and it and the raised doorways are unsuitable for those depending on wheelchair access. The back doors open to gates from the car park, but both involve steps and those to the Upper Cottage are uneven and without a handrail. The steps to the Lower Cottage garden are much wider and there is a strong rail on either side to assist those who have some difficulty with mobility. There is then a level path leading to the patio and the stepped back door, which opens into the lounge.
- Both cottages have exterior lights, which are at the control of the guests, so that they can see their way from the car park if they need to return after dark.
- The Upper cottage has accommodation on five levels, largely because it is set into a slope. It is therefore unsuitable for anyone who is unable to cope easily with steps. It also has some areas, which are, unfortunately, poorly lit and would also perhaps provide difficulty for those who have some sight impairment. There is little which can be done to improve these aspects as they are caused by the fact that the cottage is developed from an old agricultural building and has already been adapted as far as is possible.
- The Lower Cottage is much more spacious than the Upper Cottage and the whole of the ground floor area is laid out on one level. There is a kitchen/breakfast room with a generous amount of worktop at standard height and easily accessible. The lounge/dining room is equipped with a large, comfortable sofa bed, so that it is possible for someone to sleep downstairs, should they not wish to climb the stairs, there also being a downstairs cloakroom with W.C. and hand basin. The access to this cloakroom is quite narrow, however, and so some people with mobility problems might have difficulty. This is because it is approached via two doors, set at right angles to each other. The interior doors all have a width of twenty-six inches. The stairs that lead from the ground floor to the first floor have a wall-mounted handrail as well as a strong banister on the opposite side. The bedrooms on the first floor are easily accessible, as is the bathroom and there is ample lighting everywhere. Both bedrooms have hand basins fitted. In our experience, guests who have had to depend on walking sticks or arm crutches have found it possible to cope with this cottage, but it is not suitable for those confined to wheelchairs.
- We have tried to make both cottages as easy to operate as possible. For instance we supply cordless kettles so that they can be handled more easily. Both cottages have standard electric cookers, but are also supplied with microwave ovens and other equipment easily accessed on the work surfaces. Both cottages have automatic washing machines, dishwashers and refrigerators (with ice-box compartment), fitted underneath the kitchen work surfaces. Both are also fitted with televisions and video-recorders that, for ease, are operated by remote controls.
- We do not offer a blanket welcome to dogs, but will accept them when their owners agree to abide to the requirements of our own “Dog Policy”. We require this to be done at the time of booking. There would therefore be no objection to Service Dogs as long as their owners were prepared to abide by this same agreement. We welcome well-behaved dogs and have made many canine friends since we have had the cottages in operation!
- This is not really a suitable site for staying for those who are dependant on Public Transport. Our nearest train stations are at Aberystwyth and Carmarthen, from whence visitors have to rely either on the bus service or on taxis. Our village of Drefach Felindre has a bus link to Newcastle Emlyn and Cardigan and with Carmarthen, but the nearest bus stop is at least three quarters of a mile away.
- We are more than happy to help visitors when they arrive and when they leave and will sometimes be able to help with occasional shopping etc. However, we are not always available and guests booking should not rely on our assistance for the whole duration of their stay.
- Should prospective guests have any queries about accessibility, which are not answered in this statement, we should be glad to discuss them by telephone or e-mail.
Book Now or see our Booking Conditions and Availability